The Expert Panel of the Fair Work Commission handed down its Annual Wage Review 2020-21 Decision on 16 June 2021. Key elements of the decision include:
- Award minimum wages and the National Minimum Wage were increased by 2.5%.
- The National Minimum Wage was increased to $772.60 per week or $20.33 per hour.
- The minimum wage increases are operative on different dates for different awards, as follows:
- For most awards, the minimum wage increase is operative from the first full pay period that starts on or after 1 July 2021;
- For the General Retail Industry Award 2020, the minimum wage increase is operative from the first full pay period that starts on or after 1 September 2021.
- For some (but not all) awards in the hospitality, food services, retail, arts, recreation, aviation, tourism and racing industries, the minimum wage increase is operative from the first full pay period that starts on or after 1 November 2021; and
- Junior, apprentice and trainee wage rates were adjusted proportionately.
- Wage-related allowances and expense-related allowances were also increased in accordance with the usual formulas.
If you would like more information about which award covers your employees, please contact Ai Group’s Workplace Advice Service on 1300 55 66 77.
Alternatively, if you would like advice and assistance conducting pay reviews or audits, please contact your local employment, workplace and industrial lawyer in Sydney, Newcastle, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth or Brisbane or contact Ai Group Workplace Lawyers here.